Monday, May 11, 2009

MLB reviewing Bobby Jenks' pitch behind Kinsler from Saturday

Bobby Jenks - Yeah, I was throwing at that guy... - Deadspin

MLB is reviewing the pitch Jenks buzzed behind Kinsler's back on Saturday after Jenks had this to say about it:

Yeah, I wanted to go in and send a message, and I think that message was sent," Jenks said after he had finished up his seventh save in as many opportunities. "Basically, I was saying, 'I'm sick of seeing our guys get hit and hurt and almost get taken out of the game.' I threw it with intention."


I was watching the game. It was a one run game with two outs in the 9th and Kinsler, who could easily swipe second and be in scoring position after getting plunked, was batting. That's how I talked myself into the fact that Bobby couldn't be dumb enough to try and hit the guy. Turns out he was just trying to send a message ("With a one-run lead, I didn't want to put anyone on base. I just wanted to say, 'Hey, we can play that game, too.' Other than that, the important thing was getting him out after that pitch.")...but timing is everything, Bobby, and if you had hit him it could have been costly.

Padilla hit two of our guys and we have a history with him so I'm all for protecting your teammates and think that, lately, umpires are way too quick to give out warnings...especially when they only warn the team retaliating. But wait until the next day and drill someone in the ribs with two outs and no one on base in the 1st inning. That will send the message across just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment