Thursday, October 1, 2009

NBA Player Rankings – Point Guard

These are subjective rankings, meaning that although I considered statistics, the final rankings are based on my personal thoughts and feelings on each player. I ranked each player based on the position they actually play for their team, and considered each players’ impact this year and going forward.

The things I considered in developing my rankings are: current skills/accomplishments, age, stage of career, future potential, and the players’ trade value within each position.

So would you trade CP3 for Andre Miller? No chance! But would you trade Gilbert for Chauncey? Tougher choice, right?

Here is my list of the top 15 PGs in the NBA -

1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Tony Parker
4. Derrick Rose
5. Chauncey Billups
6. Devin Harris
7. Gilbert Arenas
8. Steve Nash
9. Jason Kidd
10. Rajon Rondo
11. Baron Davis
12. Jameer Nelson
13. Mike Bibby
14. Jose Calderon
15. Russell Westbrook

Just missed the list: Monta Ellis, Andre Miller, Beno Udrih

Hard for me not to put D-Rose #2 behind CP3, but realistically I don’t think the Jazz or Spurs would give up their PG for D-Rose quite yet. D-Rose should make some improvements on D and with his J heading into this season, and it won’t be long before he is #2 (or even #1) on everybody’s PG list.

One of the toughest parts about this list was placing Nash and J-Kidd. Both were #1 at some point in the last few years, but have slipped (mainly at the defensive end). I still love both of them, but I think I have them ranked slightly too high. I think the younger guys that come after them on the list (Monta, Jose Calderon, and even Jameer) could probably be ranked ahead of them at this point, but nostalgia has me holding on.

If Agent Zero seems high, it’s because supposedly Gilbert is returning to form this year, so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. Plus the Celtics willingness to trade Rondo after last season makes me think that he won’t ever be the great leader a team wants their PG to be.

Calderon might be too low, and Westbrook ahead of Monta was a tough call. It was tough to place a lot of these guys, but this is what I ended up with. So what do you think?


Click here for "NBA Player Rankings - Shooting Guard"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment